Thursday, November 14, 2013

Up All Night


As I finished my last final of winter semester 2004, I felt relief and joy that I successfully made it through my first year at Brigham Young University. I had various experiences that required profound personal growth, but despite those bumps, I had made it. Now I was off to the worst part of finishing my first year at Brigham Young University, saying goodbye to my friends.

Ciara, Aimee, Kelly, and I ordered a pizza and ate on the grass outside of Chipman Hall, our residence the past eight months. We reminisced about the dance parties in my car and all of our other exploits the past year and we planned how awesome our condo was going to be next year. Around ten o’clock, Kelly and Ciara announced that they needed to get back to packing up their dorm rooms and preparing for our trip to Salt Lake City tomorrow; however, Aimee and I decided that packing could wait; we had until tomorrow afternoon to clear and clean our rooms as we both were staying in Utah. 

We deliberated how we should spend our last evening as freshman, and then snuck over to Merrill Hall, where the boys in our ward (a Latter-day Saint church unit) lived. We phoned our friend Andrew and talked him into going on a walk around campus with us. As we reflected on the ups and downs of our year we walked by the library. I had spent countless hours inside eyeing the large hill outside the periodicals window rather than studying. It seemed like the perfect hill for rolling.

I suggested this idea to Andrew and Aimee, and they agreed to humor me. Giggling, the three of us took turns reliving our childhood and the blissful carefree attitudes we had enjoyed when children. However, my skin began to feel itchy, and as I looked at my skin and clothes, I noticed that they were green. Apparently, the grounds crew sprayed the grass for graduation in attempt to compensate for the dull brown grass that is barely recovering from the long Utah winter. We laughed about it as we walked back to our residence halls to shower. The fake green grass was a memory I would treasure.
Me, Andrew, and Aimee. Not sure why I look so evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment